Tuesday 30 October 2018

Battlecry of Freedom – joy and thanks for my favourite slogans

I love all of the slogans of Mind Training. I believe it is an extraordinary and liberating teaching.  I do, however, have two favourite slogans.

The first favourite is: Always be joyful – slogan 21.

There are many studies that have shown that if we smile, we do feel happier. It can be discovered, quite quickly, that if meditation is practised  regularly and consistently, joy arises spontaneously in the mind. Practice develops a sort of background happiness and joy.

Joy naturally arises from trusting beginningless awakened mind.
Joy naturally arises from letting go of self-centred protectiveness and having
a more expansive view. Awakening is joyful.

The mind does not need to be unseated from riding joy when mistakes are made or difficulties occur. If there is great sadness, it arises in the moment
and does not need to disturb the background potential of contentment.
When sadness dissolves, then joy is present again.

I am delighted that Pema Chödron used this slogan for the title of her book on the slogans of Mind Training.
A Celtic knot style horse motif I designed for use in the book.

My second favourite is the final slogan: Do not wish for thanks – slogan 59.

It makes me smile every time I read this one. So often we feel cheated if we do not receive a thank you  such as when you have politely waited to let another car go ahead of you and the driver doesn’t even acknowledge it. Do you ever feel ‘Where’s my thank you!?’ and perhaps even regret letting them go first just a little bit. I know I have done this, and immediately this slogan is there, reminding me to be a practitioner and get over myself. 

I also really like Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche’s wording of this slogan: Don’t expect applause. 

Mind training is the greatest opportunity it is possible to be given in life.
Mind training is the path to awakening – to realise non-duality, to dwell in rigpa. Practitioners should not ask to be congratulated and thanked for training their minds.


If it is felt that thanks and applause are deserved, then there is still a lot of work to be done. Such an attitude is not awakened view, but rather, is somewhat ridiculous.

The practitioner may feel slightly embarrassed if they notice that they would actually quite like a standing ovation. Wryly recognise the wish for approval and appreciation,
smile at the recognition – and return to practice.


The reward of practice is the capacity for more practice.
Ultimately the reward of more practice is awakening.



Extracts from Battlecry of Freedom by Ngakma Nor’dzin, Part II – the slogans;to be published by Aro Books worldwide in 2019.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!