Saturday 25 May 2013

Dim Saesneg o gwbl.

Reflection - Cardiff Bay, April 2013
Heddiw roedd ’ö-Dzin a fi trio i siarad yng Nghymraeg trwy'r amser – dim Saesneg o gwbl.  Mae e wedi bod dydd yn ddiddorol . . .

Today ’ö-Dzin and I tried to talk to each other  only in Welsh all day – no English at all.  It has been an interesting day.

I was surprised to find that once I got used to it, it was actually easier than I had expected.  It became kind of natural after a while.  I have to concentrate more than usual on what I am hearing and saying, but it was enjoyable.  It felt odd switching back to English when we went into a shop.  One weird moment was when I experienced an uncertainty about which language I had just used to say something.  We managed to have fairly normal conversation despite fumbling over which case we needed to use and mostly managed to make ourselves understood.  If we did not know a word in Welsh we just said the English and carried on.  Sometimes we were able to offer each other the Welsh word.

Dw i falch buon ni'n ei wneud e, a dw i ddim yn poeni am ei wneud eto.
I am proud that we have done it, and I am not worried about doing it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!