Wednesday 13 June 2018

Holiday time soon!!!

Goscar Rock, North Beach, Dinbych-y-Pysgod

It is nearly time to go on holiday. WOOHOO!!

And yes, we are camping in Pembrokeshire, South Wales, as usual. This year the weather is looking promising and we have chosen a lovely quiet campsite north-west of Dinbych-y-Pysgod (Tenby). On the map it looks as though there is an across-country walk to Dinbych. Hopefully we can find this route and enjoy the walk of about three miles.

When I first started tangling, I was unaware that ‘The Zentangle Method’ had become a copyrighted thing. Can you really copyright a way of drawing, and simple patterns? People have been doodling on paper forever and will have inevitably discovered some of the patterns that zentangle artists now give names. I support artists receiving appreciation and payment for their work, and I greatly value the support and inspiration of the zentangle tutors, but as to owning and having rights to a tangle ... I don’t want to get involved in that particular hot potato! 

Anyway, as a beginner in 2016, I created a number of tangled images from photographs. This is not regarded by zentangle method purists as a correct, because it is based on a predetermined image. The idea of zentangle is that the image is created spontaneously and in a meditative state of mind. It is not intended to particularly look like anything in the end, but just to be a meditatively creative exercise. I understand and value this approach, but looking back I do still quite like the tangled images I created on holiday in 2016. The images have something of my love of Dinbych and my love of zentangle combined. So I am posting a few of them to whet my appetite for more Pembrokeshire delights to come.

Croft Gardens, Dinbych-y-Pysgod

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!